On Wellington Street, he turned left, coming within the ironish scent of the still-frozen lake, and passed the Parliament buildings… - Consolation
The third Provincial Parliament Buildings in Toronto were built 1829-32 on the north side of Front Street West facing the lake. The property occupied the block bounded by Simcoe, John and Wellington streets. After the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada united in 1842, Toronto was the capital only sporadically, between 1849-51 and 1855-59. With Confederation in 1867, the Toronto buildings became the legislature of the new Province of Ontario. The Provincial Parliament remained here until 1892, when it moved to its present site in Queen’s Park. The old legislative buildings stood vacant until being demolished in 1900-3.
The CBC’s $350 million Canadian Broadcast Centre, opened in 1993, now occupies the western part of the land where the third Provincial Parliament Buildings in Toronto stood from 1829 to 1900. In the early 1900s, the property was transferred to the Grand Trunk Railway, which filled the former legislature site, on the north side of Front Street West between Simcoe and John streets, with freight sheds and marshalling yards. Later called Canadian National, the railway remained here until the 1970s.