City Hall, Toronto, Canada, c. 1910
Toronto Public Library, TRL, PC 1016.
Under construction for more than a decade and costing more than $2.5 million, Toronto's third City Hall was officially opened on September 18, 1899, by the mayor of the day, John Shaw. The building contained a Council Chamber, courtrooms and municipal offices.
Old City Hall was designed by Toronto architect Edward James Lennox whose later projects included Casa Loma and the King Edward Hotel. When Toronto's fourth City Hall opened across Bay Street in 1965, Old City Hall became a courthouse for the Ontario government.