Front Street West looking north from the lake, ca. 1815
Attributed to Owen Staples (1866 - 1949).
Photograph coloured with watercolour of pen & ink drawing.
TPL, TRL, J. Ross Robertson Collection, JRR 556.
Looking from Peter Street on the left to John Street at the right. Left to right the buildings are (1) Cruickshank house, (2) Sheriff John Beikie house, (3) military storehouse, (4) Half-Way Tavern, a popular watering hole with soldiers from the fort.
This picture is after an oil painting by Robert Irvine, a British artist who was active in Upper Canada between 1812-1820.