House of Providence. Toronto. Canada West, 1855
Designed by William Hay (1818 - 1888); Drawn by Courtois.
Lithograph, printed by Villain, Paris.
Toronto Public Library, TRL, J. Ross Robertson Collection, JRR 308.
The House of Providence opened in 1857 on Power Street, south of St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church, reflecting the increased number of Catholics in the city at this time.
Armand Francis Marie de Charbonnel, second Roman Catholic Bishop of Toronto, built it to help "the needy, the immigrants, the old, the invalid, and destitute."
The building was torn down to make way for the Richmond Street ramp to the Don Valley Expressway. The organization's work still continues, since 1962 at Providence Villa and Hospital in Scarborough.