In praise of cities, City Hall, Toronto, 1 July 1967
Enid Robbie (1931 - )
Toronto Public Library, TRL, 977-34-1.
Toronto's City Hall, which opened at the head of lower Bay Street in 1899, was filled to capacity by the 1950s. An international architectural competition for a new city hall resulted in submissions from over 500 architects from 41 countries, and was won by Viljo Revel of Finland, who chose John B. and John C. Parkin as his Toronto associates. The first sod was turned in 1961, and the new City Hall was opened in 1965.